Sunday, October 24, 2010

Living Life Through Movies

THIS IS THE FIRST INSTALLMENT OF MY BLOG, THOUGH THE ORDER IS MESSED UP NOW. THIS IS WHERE IT ALL BEGAN. ENJOY.

For as long as I can remember, movies have inspired me, moved me, changed me. A boyfriend once asked me what it was about going to the movies that I loved so much. He just had to get to the bottom of it. Was it actually seeing the movie? Was it escaping from real life? Was it the actual act of sitting in the dark eating popcorn and Milk Duds? Was it that I liked to know what was out in theaters, so I could be up to date and carry on conversations about them? Was it to get away from the heat in the summer? Or was it because I simply had nothing better to do? Well, the answer... is none of the above... and all of the above. I like going to the movies, simply because I like going to the movies. Some people think it's strange that I not only don't mind, but actually enjoy going to matinees by myself. You just sit in the dark anyway, so seriously... what is the big deal?!? At night, different story. Feel like a loser, but that's just me. Totally don't judge others for doing it. Anyway, I have been writing in journals pretty much for as long as I've known how to write. Often times, I come home from a movie and write about how it made me think, how it reminded me of someone, how there was a part that really cut to the core. And today, the same thing happened; however, this time, I decided to start a blog and share my thoughts, instead of putting them down on paper and tucking that book of mine deep into a drawer. Now, if you ever come over (no, that's not an invitation), don't ruffle through my stuff looking for it. It's in a secret spot... though I may share some of it with you if you're worthy. (Insert Wayne and Garth here "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!") What's that? Cut to the chase? Where is this going? Clear and concise... clear and concise. Guess I've been out of news too long. Words to remember as I begin my blog, because let's face it... people are busy these days!!! I mean, I'm busy. Huh? Oh, well, yeah, I'm not too busy to write a blog, but seriously, I'm BUSY!!! I digress. So, back to today's feature presentation. It began with (shocking!) a movie trailer. It was for "Julie and Julia" with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. I've seen the trailer a hundred times, but for some reason, today, it hit me. The line when one of Julie's friends says "Showtime bought my blog for a mini-series" made me think. In fact, from what I understand, the movie is based on a true story about a girl who started a blog cooking her way through Julia Child's cookbook. Now, I'm not expecting Showtime or anyone to buy my blog, because IT'S NOT FOR SALE! Well, maybe. I'm really just doing this, because I've got somethin' to say (insert Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages"). After the trailers, the movie started; that's usually how it works. "(500) Days of Summer". It's a story about love, but it's NOT a love story! Here's the problem. Just as this blog is about to get really good (wait for it), I can't find the actual lines from the screenplay online to insert here. How can I wax poetic if I can't tell you the exact words from the film? You're killin' me, Smalls! I did find this, though, so let's see what I can do. Oh my God! I'm so fired! ***Tom (Joseph Gordon Levitt): What happens when you fall in love? Summer (Zooey Deschanel): You believe in that? Tom: It's love, it's not Santa Claus.*** O.K., I'm Tom! I keep believing in true love. I keep believing that I'll slip on a banana peel on a crowded street and some hilarious, gorgeous, intelligent, fantastic cupcake of a man will be there to say something perfect, so I don't feel like an idiot, then ask me out. Our first date will begin right then and there. We cancel all our important plans for the day, because THIS becomes the most important. We talk and talk and talk and talk for hours and I realize that YES - this is what I've been waiting for my whole life. THIS is what I've been holding out for. THIS is the soulmate I've been hoping would come along. THIS is fate. THIS is destiny. THIS is elation. But THIS doesn't exist. Does it? I always thought it did, but I'm beginning to think I'm wrong. I think it exists for some people, but do I have to wait until I'm 80? In the movie, Tom gets to a point where he loses all faith in true love. That's where I am now. I don't like being in this place - where I'm losing my optimism, but alas, I am. I'd like to tell you more about where the movie goes (you're waiting for a happy ending, right?), but I don't want to ruin it for you in case you haven't seen it yet. So, I'll leave you with this - like a Harry Potter film or "Friday the 13th", THIS story will continue... and if people continue to fill the seats, so to speak, there's a good chance I'll throw in a "Star Wars"-like prequel minus Jar Jar Binks. Thanks for watching and please discard your trash as you exit the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment