Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hamlet 2 Be or Not to Be - That Is the Question

"Hamlet 2" stars Steve Coogan as a wannabe actor, who's appeared in a series of embarrassing commercials, but takes a job as a high school theater teacher to pay the bills. In his mind, it's a temporary situation. The movie starts off posing the question "Where do dreams go to die"? In this movie, out on DVD, dreams apparently go to Tucson to die. But is that where they truly are buried? You'll have to see the movie to find out, but let's talk about that. People dream of being actors, rock stars, astronauts, but at what point do you throw in the towel? Not everyone can become a famous actor, not everyone can become a legendary rock star, not everyone can walk on the moon. While some try harder than others and really attempt to make their dreams come true, others just sit back and wait for it to happen. Some set goals for themselves - if I'm not a series regular on a sitcom by the age of 30, then I'll go to law school and become a lawyer. If I'm not making a decent living as a musician by the time I'm 35, I'll become a music teacher. But what about those people, who are 40, still struggling to pay their rent and still clinging to the hope that one day, they will make it? People say if you follow your dream and do what you love, it will work out, but will it? Does it always work out for everyone? It just doesn't seem possible. Los Angeles is full of people, who moved there to be famous. It's also full of broken dreams and bitterness. So, I want to know what YOU think. When should people take a dose of reality and say "Ya know what? I gave it a try and it didn't work out. What are my other options? Maybe I can make a living at something else that will make me happy enough and do what I TRULY love in my spare time." DISCUSS. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment