Saturday, June 11, 2011

Super 8 Gets a Super 10

Yes, once again it's been a very long time since I've written. Sadly, that's what happens when you host, produce and write a five day a week national t.v. show. Though I've seen a million movies in the last few months (o.k., maybe hundreds of thousands!), I have not been able to share with you... until now. "Super 8" brought me back to a time that I feel needs to make a comeback. The neighborhood kids spend their summer making a super 8 movie about zombies. Of course, there's a whole lot of other stuff mixed in that I won't reveal, because it's a shhhhhhhhhhh... secret! But remember the days when kids would ride their bikes around town, play outside and use their imaginations? I miss that. Nowadays, kids are so stuck to their computers and video games... and don't get me wrong, they have worth for sure, but can't we find a balance? One hour a day on the computer and then head outside? Or even if the weather's bad and you have to stay inside, why not trade technology for some construction paper and watercolors, a journal and a pen or an instrument and some sheet music. We need creativity to continue in this world... and we have to start with the youngins'. Perhaps a nice start for your family would be to head to the theater and see "Super 8". That way, you can capture the imagination that J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg had as kids and continue to bring to the big screen for our enjoyment.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Parents really do need to step up and take a more productive role in developing their childrens creativity. Good job Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do u think my 4-year old can appreciate de movie, or it's too 'heavy' for a kid his age? Thanx..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pisces Man, I don't think it's too "heavy" for a four year old, but there may be a couple parts that are too scary for him. You could do what my mom used to do and cover his eyes. Oooooooh, that made me mad when I was little!

    ReplyDelete