Sunday, June 12, 2011

Just Friends? Are You Sure About That?

It's time to talk about a rental, one that's been out for a few years now. "Just Friends" stars Ryan Reynolds as a fat kid in high school, who's in love with his best friend, Amy Smart. At a graduation party, he decides to finally tell his long-time love that he is, in fact, in love with her, but she responds by saying "I love you... like a brother". OUCH! So, what does he do? He gets skinny (and hot), moves to Hollywood, becomes a ladies man and becomes a successful music executive. Flash forward ten years when he gets stuck in his Jersey hometown around Christmastime and runs into Smart. He loses all his confidence and starts acting like the overweight, dorky kid from high school. OK, so "just friends". You've heard the term a million times. "Me and so and so? Oh no, we're just friends." But if you've ever seen "When Harry Met Sally", you know that men and women can't ever really be friends, because one of them always wants to be with the other. Often times, when that person admits it, the two stop being friends all together... but other times, the two end up being a great couple, because they knew each other as friends first. You never know what will happen. So, do you risk it all telling that person knowing that you could lose him or her forever or do you go on living a bit of an untruth just so you can keep that person in your life? Has this happened to you? Care to share your experience? And here's something else to ponder, there's a recurring theme in the movie that says if you're just friends, you will go to LUNCH with that person. If he or she thinks it's a date, you'll go to DINNER. I admit, if I'm trying to keep it on a friendly basis, I feel like lunch is safer. Dinner gets a little riskier. Thoughts on that? Either way, next time you say "oh, we're just friends", think about if that statement REALLY is true.

2 comments:

  1. In high school I had a crush on this guy who my best friend introduced me to. When my friend saw I was crushing on this guy he decided to admit to me that he was in love with me before it was too late. It did get very weird at certain points and I was confused, but in the end I went for my crush and me and my friend stayed friends. We actually still are best friends to this day some 10 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been friend zoned too many times to count (I have counted but its embarrassing to admit) the constant thing that traps me in these situations is that I wait too long or I'm too nice off the bat. I am constantly told I need to be a "bad boy" to get women but that just means I would need to be fake, and I'm not down for that.

    One time recently there was a girl I started off just as friends with then I fell for her hard. At one point I thought I loved her (something I don't really ever say) but turns out we are just friends. We are still friends and after getting rejected twice my feelings have evaporated. I'm too nice to lose a friendship over crushes. And yes Lunch is safe (but not a clear friend marker) and Dinner/Dessert implies a bit more. Something about night.

    ReplyDelete